What you'll learn
What is a Project?
Get to Know your Stakeholders
Authority vs. Influence
The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI’s Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes?
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
1. Identify the key characteristics of a project
2. Identify primary project constraints
3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager
4. Identify Project Organizational Structures
5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder
6. Identify project stakeholders
7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders
8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement
9. Define the purpose of using a project charter
10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan
11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment
12. Describe the difference between authority and influence
Access to a computer or mobile device with an internet connection.
Motivation to learn!
There are no special materials or prerequisite knowledge required for this course.
Who this course is for
Students who are new to this field
Students willing to put in a couple hours to learn about Initiating and Planning Projects
Advanced students wanting to add another skill to their portfolio
Margaret Meloni, MBA, PMP – Instructor, University of California, Irvine Extension
This course includes
Option for learning at your own pace
Videos and reading material about the course
Assessed tasks with feedback from other course participants
Evaluated tests with feedback
Evaluated programming tasks