What you'll learn
Module 1: Building a Home Network
Module 2: Connecting to the Internet
Module 3: Taking Security Seriously
Module 4: Securing the Network & User Devices
Welcome to the fourth of five courses in the Cisco Networking Basics Specialization. In the first three courses of this specialization, you were focused on understanding how computer networks work and how to access the network. Now that you have a firm grasp of that, you can dive deeper into how do you actually build and secure a home network that includes lots of wireless devices. Wireless requires different configurations than a wired network. Both wireless and wired networks are susceptible to security threats and attacks. You will work through the different types of threats and attacks that typically occur and understand the different software tools that can be used to mitigate those security threats.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
1. Build and secure a home wireless network.
2. Connect and configure a home wireless router in order to provide a secure connection to the Internet.
3. Describe different methods of connecting devices to a home network, including wired and wireless connections.
4. Explain how Wi-Fi communication is implemented in a small LAN environment.
5. Explain the inherent risks associated with wireless network connectivity.
6. Implement the best practices for securing wireless network access, including methods for secure authentication and encryption.
7. Describe common types of network security threats and attacks.
8. Explain how software tools can mitigate network security threats.
Access to a computer or mobile device with an internet connection.
Motivation to learn!
There are no special materials or prerequisite knowledge required for this course.
Who this course is for
Students who are new to this field
Students willing to put in a couple hours to learn about Home Networking Basics
Advanced students wanting to add another skill to their portfolio
Telethia Willis – Cisco Networking Learning & Development
This course includes
Option for learning at your own pace
Videos and reading material about the course
Assessed tasks with feedback from other course participants
Evaluated tests with feedback
Evaluated programming tasks